GAME UPDATE - FREECIV 1.14.1

| 4 Comments

I was asked by the maintainers of Freeciv.org to update the IRIX binary for their distribution site. While the latest version 1.14.1 (a bug fix and minor feature upgrade) compiled and ran fine on both an Octane2 and an O2 running IRIX 6.5.21, when I tried to install it on an Octane running 6.5.20 it bombed with exactly the same error message posted by katos (as a comment on the original July 10, 2003 news post announcing the 1.14.0 tardist). The error was:

Trace/BPT/RangeErr/DivZero/Ovflow trap (core dumped)

I recompiled and made a new tardist on the Octane machine and all seems well. The tardist is available for download here:

freeciv-1.14.1-mips4.tardist (4.7MB)

It still contains the server and GTK+2 client, but I removed the source code and manual in order to trim down the size of the distribution. The support files still can be obtained from Freeciv.org.

Before I send it to the offical distribution site, I would like it if a few of the friendly Nekochan members would verify that it runs OK and post a comment either "yah" or "nay". The server and client are installed in /usr/local/bin and may be executed with the commands civserver and civclient respectively.

Thanks in advance (and I promise to stop hogging the December news space)!

4 Comments

I installed on an O2 R5K running 6.5.22. The server was fine, but the GTK client complained at start up:

CIVCLIENT: 3943 WARNING **: Invalid subfont 0 in get_font_metric_from_subfont.

and started up with NO text diplayed in the client windows (other graphics OK). I'm guessing I left out a prerequists or dist file. Has this happen to anyone else?

I had a similar problem.

My solution: I downloaded fw_pango from nekochan, then setenv LANG en.

I still have error messages saying;

could not load converter from ISO-8859-4 to UTF-8

Neko's download of fw_pango solved it for me as well. I had forgotten about his earlier post along those lines. I also got the missing font error message (just the first time it ran), but it still comes up with readable text. Strangely, the text on the other machines (which did not see the font problem, even with the older fw_pango) is different. Anyway, thanks for the info shumiyao, it's totally usable on all of my machines now -- next time I package it I'll try to get the pango prerequist correct.

Works great on my Octane running 6.5.19. Thanks!

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by squeen published on December 11, 2003 6:36 AM.

NEW SOFTWARE PORT - CROSSFIRE was the previous entry in this blog.

New Software Downloads Page is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.