SGI Origin 300
The SGI Origin300 was released October 9, 2001 as a mid-range server for technical computing and media applications. An Origin300 compute node consists of a 2U-high system that contains 2 or 4 64-bit MIPS microprocessors and up to 4GB of local memory.
The Origin300 uses an IP45 mainboard housing the following components:
- 2 or 4 MIPS Microprocessors (with independant secondary cache)
- Four Dual inline memory module (DIMM) slots organized in banks of two
- The Xbridge ASIC that interfaces between the Bedrock ASIC and PCI slots
- The Bedrock hub carrying traffic between the processors, memory and I/O devices
- EEPROM containing the system's Serial ID
- L1 Controller
- Five Voltage Regulation Modules
- Two NUMALink 3 LEDs and Four hearbeat LEDs
The Origin300 was available with 2 or 4 64-bit R14000 processors per compute node in either 500MHz or 600MHz clock speeds.
Each Origin300 compute node has from 512MB to 4GB of local memory, including both main memory and directory memory for cache coherence.
Local memory consists of two or four banks that are referred to as banks 0, 1, 2 and 3. The four banks are arranged as two DIMM pairs (0 and 1). Each pair of banks consists of two dual-inline memory modules (DIMMs) that contain double data rate synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR SDRAM).
Memory may be added or removed from the system in two DIMM increments only. Both DIMMs in any bank must be of the same density, however two banks may hold different density DIMMs.
SGI offered three memory kits for the Origin300:
- 512 MB kit with integrated directory memory
- 1 GB kit with integrated directory memory
- 2 GB kit with integrated directory memory
The Origin300 contains and I/O-8 board assembly consisting of an I/O-8 mainboard, an I/O-8 daughterboard and a PCI riser card. The assembly provides I/O interface functions, the I/O connectors to the system backpanel, and the L1 controller functions.
The I/O-8 board assembly presents the following at the rear of a compute node:
- One 68-pin VHDCI external SCSI connector
- One 10BaseT/100BaseT auto-selecting Ethernet connector
- One DB9 RS-232 L1 console connector
- Two 4-pin USB ports
- One 4-pin USB L1 port
- Two RS-232 or RS-422 115.2 Kbaud-capable DB9 async ports with modem control
- One real-time (RT) interrupt output port
- One RT interrupt input port
The PCI riser board provides a connection to the I/O-8 assembly as well as two 66MHz/64-bit PCI slots.
The SCSI backplane also connects directly to the I/O-8 assembly and provides two Ultra3 SCSI hard disks operating at a peak transfer rate of 160MB/s.
Power and Cooling
Each compute node uses a single, nonredundant WTX power supply operating at 110/220Vac and outputting a maximum of 460W.
Cooling is provided by three cooling fans in an N+1 configuration in both the system chassis and the power supply. The Origin300 uses a "standard" front-to-back airflow pattern.